Welcome Macdonough Families!
Every month, we publish a newsletter that focuses on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) at Macdonough. The monthly newsletter typically includes: pictures of students engaged in Project-Based Learning, the Engineering Design Process, interdisciplinary units of study, the Engineer of the Month, informative articles/videos relating to our instruction, and our contact information.
If you haven’t done so already, please follow us on Twitter @MacdSchool, and check out our STEM webpage supported by our Governance Council.
First Day of School 9/9/2021
Design a Roller Coaster!
Cup Challenge: Can You Build a Pyramid?
Fall 2021 Project-Based Learning Topics by Grade
KINDERGARTEN- Weather Tools
FIRST GRADE- The Art of Shapes
SECOND GRADE- Welcome to the Neighborhood
THIRD GRADE- Marking History, Making History
FOURTH GRADE- Tiny House
FIFTH GRADE- Journey to the Red Planet
STEM questions to ask your child(ren) at home
Through out the school year, as your child(ren) participate in STEM-based instruction, they will engage is a different way of learning and expressing information. They will use the Engineering Design Process to develop products to present their new knowledge and experiences through Project-Based Learning. Here are some questions you can ask your child(ren) at home about their work and experiences:
- What is the name of the project is your class working on?
- What is/was challenging for you?
- What do/did you enjoy about the project?
- Have you seen/heard of someone doing this for a living in real life?
- Are there careers in STEM?
- Did you tinker with a new material today?
- What is Project-Based Learning to you?
- Can you teach me about the Engineering Design Process?
- Do you communicate with your classmates about STEM?
- Which hands-on projects would you like to try at home?